Rentrer
Here are the tenses for rentrer (to go back in, to return home) with example sentences and their English translations:
---
Présent (I go back in, You go back in, He/She goes back in, etc.)
Je rentre chez moi après le travail. → I go home after work.
Tu rentres tard ce soir ? → Are you coming home late tonight?
Il rentre dans la maison en courant. → He runs back into the house.
Nous rentrons toujours par la porte arrière. → We always go back in through the back door.
Vous rentrez à quelle heure ? → What time are you coming back home?
Elles rentrent du travail fatiguées. → They come home from work tired.
---
Imparfait (I was going back in, You were going back in, etc.)
Je rentrais tard tous les soirs. → I used to come home late every evening.
Tu rentrais de l’école à pied. → You used to come back from school on foot.
Il rentrait toujours avec un sourire. → He always came home with a smile.
Nous rentrions ensemble après les cours. → We used to go home together after class.
Vous rentriez souvent par cette porte ? → Did you often come back through this door?
Elles rentraient tôt en hiver. → They used to come home early in winter.
---
Futur Simple (I will go back in, You will go back in, etc.)
Je rentrerai avant minuit. → I will come home before midnight.
Tu rentreras après le dîner. → You will go back in after dinner.
Il rentrera dès qu’il aura fini son travail. → He will go home as soon as he finishes his work.
Nous rentrerons ensemble demain soir. → We will go back together tomorrow night.
Vous rentrerez plus tôt la prochaine fois. → You will come home earlier next time.
Elles rentreront après le spectacle. → They will come home after the show.
---
Passé Simple (I went back in, You went back in, etc.) [Literary use]
Je rentrai discrètement pour ne pas réveiller mes parents. → I went back in quietly so as not to wake my parents.
Tu rentras épuisé après ton voyage. → You came back exhausted after your trip.
Il rentra sans dire un mot. → He went back in without saying a word.
Nous rentrâmes de voyage avec des souvenirs plein les valises. → We returned from the trip with suitcases full of souvenirs.
Vous rentrâtes par la grande porte. → You went back in through the main door.
Elles rentrèrent sous la pluie. → They returned home in the rain.
---
Passé Composé (I have gone back in, You have gone back in, etc.)
Je suis rentré tôt hier soir. → I came home early last night.
Tu es rentré après minuit ? → Did you come home after midnight?
Il est rentré fatigué du travail. → He came home tired from work.
Nous sommes rentrés en taxi. → We came home by taxi.
Vous êtes rentrés ensemble ? → Did you go back in together?
Elles sont rentrées après le dîner. → They came home after dinner.
---
Plus-que-parfait (I had gone back in, You had gone back in, etc.)
J’étais déjà rentré quand tu m’as appelé. → I had already gone home when you called me.
Tu étais rentré avant la tempête. → You had gone back in before the storm.
Il était rentré trop tard pour voir le film. → He had come home too late to see the movie.
Nous étions rentrés avant la fermeture du métro. → We had gone home before the subway closed.
Vous étiez rentrés sans bruit. → You had gone back in quietly.
Elles étaient rentrées juste à temps. → They had come home just in time.
---
Conditionnel Passé (I would have gone back in, You would have gone back in, etc.)
Je serais rentré plus tôt si j’avais su. → I would have come home earlier if I had known.
Tu serais rentré avec nous si tu avais eu une voiture. → You would have gone back in with us if you had had a car.
Il serait rentré plus vite en train. → He would have come home faster by train.
Nous serions rentrés avant minuit si nous n’avions pas traîné. → We would have gone back in before midnight if we hadn’t lingered.
Vous seriez rentrés plus tôt sans cet embouteillage. → You would have come home earlier without this traffic jam.
Elles seraient rentrées plus tôt si elles avaient fini leur travail. → They would have come home earlier if they had finished their work.
---
Subjonct if Présent (That I go back in, That you go back in, etc.)
Il faut que je rentre avant la nuit. → I need to go home before dark.
Comments
Post a Comment